Emil Cioran: "On the Heights of Despair"


(to procopio postolovich, looking forward to seeing him soon!)

True confessions are written with tears only. But my tears would drown the world, as my inner fire would reduce it to ashes. 

I hate wise men because they are lazy, cowardly, and prudent. To the philosophers' equanimity, which makes them indifferent to both pleasure and pain, I prefer devouring passions. The sage knows neither the tragedy of passion, nor the fear of death, nor risk and enthusiasm, nor barbaric, grotesque, or sublime heroism. He talks in proverbs and gives advice. He does not live, feel, desire, wait for anything. [...] I would rather die of fire than of void. 



the deepest subjective experiences are also the most universal, because through them one reaches the universal source of life.








Comments