Lawrence Ferlinghetti: "A Coney Island of the Mind (8)"



 "It was a face which darkness could kill
                                          in an instant
        a face as easily hurt
                            by laughter or light

          'We think differently at night'
                                          she told me once
       lying back languidly

                           And she would quote Cocteau

      'I feel there is an angel in me' she'd say
                                        'whom I am constantly shocking'

          Then she would smile and look away 
                light a cigarette for me
                                        sigh and rise

     and stretch
                her sweet anatomy

                               let fall a stocking"




Comments